Thursday, October 1, 2009

Canning Pineapples and Peaches

Pineapples went on sale for $1 each so I decided I would try to can some. I'm pretty sure it isn't really that cost effective and I'm really sure that I'm never going to just have an abundance of pineapple that I need to do something with, but I still wanted to try. One pineapple fills a quart jar or two pints. These were fairly small ones.

I started by cutting them up, which is always a chore. Man they were good. Maybe they would have filled more jars if I hadn't kept taking pieces for myself! Anyway, I just cut them into little pieces and put them into the jars.



I was also told that you don't have to peel peaches to can them. Part of the headache of doing peaches is the blanching and the pealing. I decided to just do a few jars the easy way and see how they turned out. So I just washed them, cut them and stuck them in a jar as well. I added about half a cup of sugar to each quart (less to the pints) and then filled with boiling water.



You need to use a rubber spatula to poke around and get any air bubbles that might be stuck down in there. I can never tell if I've done a good job at this and can never see a visible bubble, but I do it because "they" say you should. Next I wiped the rims well and put the lids on.


Next I water bathed them for 20 min. That is 20 min AFTER the water starts to boil. This part always confused me as to when to start the 20 min. I will be trying them soon to see how the flavor of the pineapples are and if the peaches are any good with the peel still on them. I was told the peel will fall right off when you take them out of the jar. We shall see!!

2 comments:

Dacia said...

The peaches look great! I'll try them out.

Leslie said...

How fun to see you starring in your own domestic diva (pink sparkly) blog! I don't think I'll ever forget you telling me how dumb it is to make your own stuff from scratch. I can still picture us in your kitchen on Dover (or whatever street that was). :) I like the new attitude better.