Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sample Menu

By request, here is a sample menu for our family. Mind you, we eat very simple things and are not very adventurous. You may need to click on it to be able to actually read it.

Here's what goes into planning my menu. Lately, I have been trying to build it around what's on sale that week. For instance, if hamburger is on sale, I will make meatloaf. If biscuits are on sale, that's what we have for Sunday breakfast. Speaking of which, when we don't have 8 o'clock church, I make a big breakfast on Sundays. Any other day, it's cereal, oatmeal or frozen waffles. I also like to plan what treat I will be serving for Family Home Evening (FHE). When I don't, we end up with standard cookies or some packaged snack they eat every day anyway. I also choose Monday to try new dishes or make something I know isn't the favorite. Kids eat better when dessert is on the line!

Saturdays I leave open for who knows what. Sometimes we may go out again or we might eat leftovers, it's just a "find it and fix it" day. Also, Sunday dinner is planned by a different family member each week so I can't really shop for that.

Wednesday's are busy as well, so it has to be something I can fix quickly and early so everyone can be out the door by 5. When I have something like Bunko or Enrichment, I like to plan something easy and that I don't really care for like grilled cheese so I can make it and not care if I eat it or not. I'm weak like that.

It really takes very little time compared to the stress free week it will provide for you. All things are movable and changeable if things don't work out like you planned, but what a sweet thing to look at a piece of paper, know what you are going to do, know what time you need to start doing it and then not give it another thought.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi, just stumbled on your blog....I've also started planning meals recently and love it! It's so much better than worrying all afternoon what the heck your going to make. I've enjoyed your blog :)