Monday, September 21, 2009

Apple Pie Filling


This weekend I tried canning apple pie filling. Apples are cheap right now so I just bought them at the local grocery store. I have the opportunity to buy them in #38 boxes, but that is actually a little more expensive and it also requires me to "do" something with them quickly and in bulk. I prefer to do a batch at a time when it's convenient for me. Later this week, I may go buy more apples and do another batch. I don't get as overwhelmed and frustrated as when I try to do mass batches. Just a preference. This is the recipe I used.
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
1 T cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
2 1/2 cups cold water
5 cups apple juice
Cook and stir until mixture thickens. This makes enough filling for about eight quarts of apples. The processing time is 30 minutes boiling-bath.

I used my fabulous apple corer/peeler to do the apples. It went very quickly. I used just about 30 apples to fill 7 jars. My water bath holds 7 quart jars so that's what I plan for when I'm doing small batches. Two things I would do differently next time: I started the syrup boiling thinking it would take a while and then started peeling the apples. Definitely fill all the jars first. My syrup boiled and thickened so quickly, it was almost too thick to pour into the jars by the time I got the apples ready. I also needed to use a plastic knife to push the syrup all the way down to fill in the gaps. I found it better to actually layer the syrup and apples. Two sets of hands for this is best.
I would also change the recipe a smidgen to add more cinnamon and nutmeg. It smelled divine, but upon tasting, it was a little bland. In the future, I would use 2 T cinnamon and 3 tsp nutmeg.
Once they cooled I remove the rings and wiped all the gooey syrup away. This is something I just learned about. Now I know why my peach lids are so hard to get off. Some syrup will boil out and leave residue under your bands. This happens with most things you can, so always remove the rings and wipe down. You can replace them or leave them off, it matters not.

No comments: