Monday, September 21, 2009

Salsa

This is a repeat post from my other blog, but now I have more information. I have been obsessed with canning lately so that's what I have right now. Canning info. We had tons of tomatoes left after a dinner event so we decided to can salsa. We have a good recipe we like so we started with that. We filled the first 4 jars when I decided to look up how long I needed to water bath them. That's when I found out they needed extra lime juice to help with the acidity level. I had no idea. The next several batches, I just squeezed a lot of lime juice into each one hoping it was enough. I didn't do anything with the first four jars. We water bathed them and they all sealed. This was back in July. We have eaten several jars and they are delicious. However, I found 4 jars that have unsealed. In examining them, I could see white powdery stuff all in the bottom. I dumped them out and they smelled awful! I'm guessing they fermented and that caused the seal to break. Not good at all! So, bottom line....if you can your own recipe, add lots of lime juice!


Not sure what caused the jar to break, but one did while in the water bath.


Our first successful attempt at canning salsa.


So easy, everyone was able to help.

No comments: